Surely everyone likes Rice Krispie cakes, right? They never fail to go down well in my house and they’re a firm favourite for everyone, especially for my Mum because she is on a compulsory gluten free diet, so she can’t have proper cakes made with flour. The ingredients I’ve used are the ingredients my Mum always uses when she makes them, however my measurements might be a little off (she wasn’t in when I made these so I just went from memory). I’m not sure if I’ve made them quite to her standard but they still taste amazing to me! I decided to put my own little twist on them by adding some chopped up Cadbury’s Crunchie bars on top. It just makes them look so cute – and makes them taste even better! So without further ado, here’s the recipe so you can make and devour these for yourself.
// Ingredients //
(I made 10, but this number will depend on how many Rice Krispies you add)
2 tbsp of butter
3 tbsp of golden syrup
3 tbsp of icing sugar
1 tbsp of cocoa powder
Rice Krispies (add as many as you feel you need so they are evenly coated in the chocolatey mixture)
1 Cadbury’s Crunchie bar, chopped
// Method //
- Put your butter, golden syrup, icing sugar and cocoa powder into a sauce pan and heat up on a very low heat.
- Stir the mixture every so often, keeping an eye on it making sure the mixture doesn’t start to overheat. You will be able to tell that it is overheating if it starts to bubble.
- Once the mixture is completely melted, you should end up with quite a runny, but sticky, chocolate brown mixture. Wait for it to cool slightly before adding it to the Rice Krispies.
- Place some Rice Krispies into a bowl and then pour over the mixture. Don’t go overboard, as otherwise you won’t have a good mixture to Rice Krispie ratio, and there won’t be enough mixture to coat them all.
- Continue to add Rice Krispies and stir in the mixture until you feel that all the Rice Krispies are evenly coated and you have enough to make a sufficient amount of cakes.
- Evenly distribute the mixture into cake cases and then chop your Crunchie bar into small chunks.
- Press a chunk of Crunchie bar onto each cake whilst the cakes are still sticky.
- Wait for the cakes to set and you’re done! Enjoy!
I know this recipe is really simple but I hope you like it! Have you done any baking recently?